I thought I'd quickly review the hardwood refinishing prices in Calgary, AB.
As you know they range anywhere from $2.00/sq.ft to $7.00/sq.ft.
Why is that?
There are few things you should know about:
1. there are two kinds of companies out there - contractors including myself, who do the work themselves or with helpers; and bigger companies with showrooms, warehouses, bunch of salespeople etc. who always subcontract the work. Obviously they would charge more, as there is a basic charge by a subcontractor plus a mark-up (huge in some cases).
2. let's leave those bigger companies behind and talk about contractors (guys who actually do the work) - not everyone is the same or works in the same way. Cheaper guys tend to skip on essential thing in sanding, prep work etc. ,so they spend less time doing the work.
3. finishes and lacquers - there are quiet a few finishes and lacquers available. They range from $20.00 to $250.00/gallon. As a customer you are rarely given an option and left wondering why they charge different prices.
4. your actual floor - it takes way longer/ costs more to refinish pre-finished floor vs. site-finished or new unfinished. Stained floor would cost more than natural.
5. cash deals - I hope you understand that those prices are at least 20% lower 'legal' prices.
My promise to you: I'll never be the cheapest guy out there as I use more expensive finishes ($115.00-$250.00/gallon). I do promise to provide you with very reasonable prices though.